What is Bookbug
Bookbug is the book sharing programme delivered in partnership by national reading charity Scottish Book Trust, local authorities, libraries, and health trusts. Bookbug encourages parents and carers to share books with their children from as early an age as possible to inspire a love of reading in every child.
There are four fantastic free bags of books for young children in Stirling Council:
• Baby Bag: from your health visitor when your baby is 3-5 weeks
• Toddler Bag: from your health visitor when your child is 13-15 months
• Explorer Bag: from nursery when your child is 3
• Primary 1 Family Bag: from school when your child is in P1
Gaelic Bookbug Bags are also available for families interested in Gaelic.
Tactile books are available for children with additional support needs alongside their Bookbug Bags.
How do I get a Bookbug bag?
Libraries, health staff, and nurseries in Stirling Council work together to try to make sure that all families receive their bag. If by any chance you missed getting a Bookbug bag, contact us using the details on the bottom right of the page and one will be sent to your local library.
Why read and sing with my baby or child?
Bookbug aims to help every child in Scotland develop a love of books and reading.
Sharing books, songs and rhymes for a few minutes a day will:
• Develop language skills
• Allow time for cuddling and bonding
• Help families to relax
• Boost children’s confidence
• Encourage drawing and writing
• Provide a strong start in life
What are the sessions?
Free, friendly, fun sessions of songs, rhymes, and stories for babies, toddlers, preschoolers, and their families and carers to enjoy together. Each session lasts around 30 minutes and has been designed to support children’s development while having fun. They take place in a very relaxed environment and are a great opportunity to spend some quality time with your little one, and meet other families.
Rhymes and songs help your baby’s language skills and are great building blocks for
your baby’s future learning. Sharing time singing with your babies, toddlers and preschoolers
is a fantastic way to have fun together. And it’s a great place to meet other families. Come along and join in the fun.
Bookbug's Library Challenge
Children can take part in Bookbug’s Library Challenge.
• Join your local library and pick up your child's Collector's Card
• Collect a stamp each time your child borrows books
• When your card is full, swap it for a certificate for your child to keep
• Start collecting stamps on a new card! There are lots of certificates to collect.
Bookbug is Scottish Book Trust’s national Early Years programme. A national charity, Scottish Book Trust delivers the Bookbug programme locally by working in partnership with local library and education services and third sector organisations. To support the local delivery of the Bookbug programme, Scottish Book Trust provides its partners with training, advice and Bookbug bags of books.
For more information about Bookbug, including resources, research, advice and tips
Last updated: Friday, February 21, 2020 10:03 AM