Investment in roads network as near £7.5 million improvement package announced

Almost £ 7.5million will be invested by Stirling Council over the next 12 months in a programme of works to improve the area’s roads infrastructure.

A picture of Councillor Jen Preston with five members of the Roads Maintenance team, all in high vis clothing, at a roads resurfacing site. To the left is a sign that reads 'ramp' and in the background it heavy plant machinery, including a JCB digger.
Councillor Jen Preston with members of the Roads Service team during recent re-surfacing works in Plean.

Details of the funding and infrastructure schedules for 2023/24 were outlined to Councillors at a meeting of the Environment, Transport and Net Zero Committee last Thursday (30 March).

The Council has allocated more than £7.3 million for the improvement and maintenance of roads, bridges, street lighting and footpaths, as well as investment in road safety measures.

This includes a core road maintenance budget of £4.75 million, with a further £1 million allocated by the Council to improve roads, footways and road safety.


Further investment of around £1.6 million will be made in bridge maintenance, flood prevention and street lighting and also includes £600,000 from the Scottish Government for cycling, walking and safer routes networks.

A full survey analysis of the Council’s road assets in September 2022 has allowed the Roads Service to prioritise its operations for 2023/24 and beyond.

Routes to benefit include roads in the city centre, such as King Street, and key arteries to and from rural areas such as Aberfoyle, Kippen and Fintry.


Following the completion of work to Branshogle Bridge earlier this year, and with the re-opening of Catterburn Bridge later this month, focus will also turn to design and repair of other key structures in the Council's bridge stock.

It is estimated 70 per cent of the road improvement plans, including road re-surfacing, pothole repairs and drainage improvements, will take place in the area's busiest routes, with the remaining 30 per cent in less busy routes, including residential streets.

Jen Preston, Convenor of the Environment, Transport and Net Zero Committee, said: “Stirling Council is responsible for a substantial road and footway network, with over 1000 kilometres of roads and over 600 kilometres of footways and footpaths.


“It is our largest and most visible community asset, used daily by residents, visitors and businesses. Our roads network is key to the economic, social and environmental wellbeing of our communities and this significant investment recognises its importance.

“We will endeavour, at all stages, to ensure that all work is planned with a view of minimising inconvenience to road users during key periods.”

A full list of the proposed works can be found in the latest agenda papers for the Environment, Transport and Net Zero Committee.

A recording of the meeting can be viewed here: