Help with tree issues or management

How you can get guidance and support if you have any questions about tree-related issues.


Trees enhance views, help to define character and add a sense of place. They provide colour, seasonal interest, biodiversity value and are central to the well-being of people as well as supporting many varieties of plants, animals and birds. As our climate changes our existing trees and woodlands all help to reduce the effects of global warming helping to reduce carbon dioxide in the atmosphere, as well as reducing air and noise pollution.

Stirling Council Supplementary Guidance can provide you with further information:

Trees and the Law

If you are planning to carry out tree work on a neighbours tree, then first consider who owns the tree and make contact with them. A Land Registry search may be required

Trees and New Development

If you are considering a development close to trees

Responsibilities if you own a tree

If you own a tree, you must make sure that it's:

  • maintained, so that it remains healthy and safe
  • regularly inspected

You must do this even if the tree does not have protected status.

If you're planning works

If you want to carry out tree works or are planning a development close to trees, make contact with the tree owner. You should do this before you start any work.

If any of the trees are protected, you'll need to complete an application form. We explain this on our page about carrying out works on protected trees

Felling permission

In general, you do not need permission if you want to fell trees that are not protected.

However, you may need felling permission in certain circumstances. This is explained in Scottish Forestry's felling permission guidance.

To find out more or apply for felling permission, contact Scottish Forestry.

Council-owned trees

Let us know if you spot any issues with trees on Stirling Council land. This could include trees that:

  • are blocking roads or footpaths
  • are damaged, diseased or dangerous
  • are on Stirling Council Housing Services land

You can report issues using our general enquiries form.

If there's any danger to members of the public, you can call 01786 404040 at any time.

Trees in the Loch Lomond and Trossachs National Park

If you have any questions about trees and woodland in the Loch Lomond and Trossachs National Park, you can:

Stirling and Clackmannanshire Forest and Woodland Strategy

You can contact us if you have any questions about planning or environmental issues associated with the Stirling and Clackmannanshire Forestry and Woodland Strategy.

To do this, use our general enquiries form.

Useful resources

If you're a tree owner, you can find useful guidance on the National Tree Safety Group website.

Specialist arboriculture advice is available on the Arboricultural Association website.

If you need help finding a tree consultant, you can use the Institute of Chartered Foresters website.