Bridge of Allan - Pullar Memorial Park
Celebrating receiving the Green Flag Award 2019
The International Green Flag Award, administered in Scotland by environmental charity Keep Scotland Beautiful, acts as a benchmark for recreational outdoor space.
The award celebrates well-maintained parks and greenspaces and supports the opportunities that they provide to enable exercise, improve mental wellbeing and provide safe spaces for play. Almost 2,000 parks across the world have achieved the award.
The Stirling parks celebrating their 2019 Green Flag awards are:
- Beechwood Park - St Ninians
- Causewayhead Park
- Ladywell Park - Bannockburn
- Pullar Memorial Park - Bridge of Allan
- Breadalbane Park - Killin
Pullar Memorial Park Bridge of Allan
The Memorial Park is located off Henderson Street in Bridge of Allan. The Memorial Park was donated to the local community by Major Edmund Pullar in 1919 following World War 1, as a location for a War Memorial. The Memorial was unveiled at the official opening ceremony on the 26th May 1923.
The Memorial was first dedicated in 1923 to commemorate the servicemen of Bridge of Allan who gave their lives in the Great War 1914-1919. Then, in 1947, it was rededicated listing the names of members of the armed services who fell in World War II. The cenotaph – an obelisk set on a marble plinth - was refurbished and rededicated in 2009.
Memorial Park remains largely consistent to the original 1920s park layout, comprising planted beds surrounding the centrally located War Memorial. The park's aesthetic value is both in the parks tree collection and setting. The Henderson Street boundary is planted up with ornamental Cherry trees which are a distinct feature of the park.
Tennis courts and a Multi Use Games Area are located within close proximity of the park. The path network within the park is suitable for all users.