Applications for clothing grants closed on 31 December 2022. You can apply for free school meals until 30 June 2023.
Financial support for school children
If you have school-age children and are on a low income, you may be entitled to financial support towards school meals and school clothing.
Free school meals
Meals are free for all P1 to P5 children. You can apply for free school meals for children from P6 to S6.
During school holidays we pay the cash value of your child's school meals into your bank account
Grants for school clothes and footwear
£200 for primary and secondary school children.
Your child can get free school meals and a grant for clothing and footwear if you receive:
- Universal Credit — where you earn less than £726 a month
- Income Support
- Job Seeker's Allowance
- Employment and Support Allowance
- support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
- Child Tax Credit, but not Working Tax Credit, and you earn less than £18,725
Your child is entitled to a clothing and footwear grant, but not free school meals, if (both apply):
- you receive Child Tax Credit and Working Tax Credit
- your income is between £8,717 and £18,725 a year
Free meals for nursery-age children
Your child can get free lunches if they have a funded place or if you qualify under the eligibility criteria. Free meals for nursery-age children are only available during the nursery term, not during holidays.
Children in early learning and childcare are not eligible for clothing grants.
Families experiencing financial hardship can also apply for free school meals if:
- your immigration status means you can’t get Government help
- you're waiting on Universal Credit
- your child had a Kinship Care Order or Guardianship Order