Report abuse or neglect of a vulnerable adult

Get in touch with us if you or another adult is:

  • being harmed or neglected and can’t protect themselves
  • at risk of harm

We can only help people that become known to us. Please don’t leave it to chance that someone else may report the concerns.

What do we mean by harm?

Harm could be any behaviour that involves:

  • physical abuse, such as hitting, slapping, pushing, shaking or confining someone to one place
  • psychological abuse, such as threats, humiliation, intimidation and verbal abuse
  • neglect, such as failing to provide someone with medical or physical care, food, heating or privacy
  • financial abuse, such as stealing, fraud, pressurising someone to sign over assets or stopping them from getting their possessions
  • sexual abuse, such as making someone take part in a sexual activity they don't understand or want, or taking photos of them committing sexual acts
  • withholding information or advice about rights or entitlements
  • discriminating against someone because of their age, skin colour, disability, gender, race, religion, cultural background or sexual orientation

How to make a report

You can report your concerns anonymously.

If you're contacting us on behalf of a vulnerable adult, we might ask if we can also speak to that person. For example, we might do this if we want to clarify certain points. However, this is not a requirement, and you can report an issue without doing so. 

Reporting possible abuse during office hours

To raise an issue during office hours, call the Clackmannanshire and Stirling Health and Social Care Partnership on 01786 40 40 40.

This service is available from 9am to 5pm, Monday to Friday.

Reporting possible abuse during evenings and weekends

During weekends and after 5pm on weekdays, you can call the Clackmannanshire and Stirling Health and Social Care Partnership on 01786 470 500.

Reporting serious incidents or emergencies

If you believe a crime has been committed or someone is at risk of harm, you should report this to Police Scotland. You can call:

  • 999 if it’s an emergency, or if someone is at immediate risk of harm
  • 101 if it’s not an emergency, and if no one is at immediate risk of harm

How we handle reports

When you contact us about a vulnerable adult, we’ll make initial inquiries before we take action. These inquiries will depend on the circumstances, but might involve finding out if the adult or their abuser is already known to:

  • NHS Scotland
  • Police Scotland
  • our Social Services team

We treat all information seriously and will act upon it. This may lead to immediate action or a planned response. We’ll let you know the general outcome of our investigation into your concerns.

View our Terms of Reference document