Support for care leavers

We provide support for young people who are leaving care and aim to live independently. We can offer help with:

  • applying for training or college courses
  • the costs of attending training or college courses
  • finding a job
  • applying for benefits from JobCentre Plus
  • applying for accommodation
  • financial support for rent, maintenance or winter fuel payments
  • furnishing your property
  • family relationships
  • issues around emotional support
  • health problems, including drug and alcohol issues

How we'll support you

Once a date has been agreed for you to leave care, our team will begin working with you and your allocated social worker.

We might attend your 'looked after child' reviews. These give you and others the opportunity to express your opinion about how soon we become involved in supporting you. We'll then develop a 'pathways plan', which we'll review at least every 6 months.

What a pathways plan involves

A pathways plan is a way for us to make sure that all young people can access the same standard of service across 7 areas. These are:

  • lifestyle
  • family and friends
  • health and wellbeing
  • learning and work
  • where I live
  • money
  • rights and legal issues

When we develop this kind of plan, we follow Scottish Government guidance on pathways.

How long you can get support

You can return to us for advice, guidance and assistance at any point up until age 26. If you do, we'll carry out a further pathways assessment to work out your needs and decide whether we can help.

The sort of issues we can usually help with include:

  • giving financial support so you can meet essential accommodation and maintenance costs, such as travel and other necessary living expenses
  • giving information or advice that helps you access education, training, employment, leisure and skills-related opportunities
  • giving information or advice on wellbeing issues

In some circumstances, another organisation might be better placed to help you. If this is the case, we'll help you to access their services.

Other sources of information

Scottish Child Law Centre

Advice and information on Scottish child law and children’s rights.

LGTB Youth Scotland

Groups, advice, volunteering and other opportunities for lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender young people.

Scotland’s Commissioner for Children and Young People

Promotes and safeguards the rights of children and young people living in Scotland.

Childline Scotland

Offers help and advice about a wide range of issues. You can phone in, talk to a counsellor online, send an email or post on the message boards.

Young Scot

The national information and citizenship organisation for young people in Scotland aged 11 to 26.

Who Cares Scotland

Free, independent services to ensure that your voice is heard and your views are expressed in decisions which affect your life.