Supported Lodgings Scheme

How you can provide a young person with a place to stay and help them develop life skills.

What are supported lodgings?

Providing supported lodgings means giving a young person:

  • a room in your home
  • support and guidance

It’s a way to help this young person, who may have been in care, develop the skills they’ll need to live on their own. This might involve them learning how to:

  • cook
  • clean
  • handle bills and budgeting
  • look after their own space
  • attend work or college

To help them develop these skills, you might need to assist them with practical tasks. For example, you might help them to:

  • catch a bus to college
  • register with a GP
  • open a bank account

You’ll also guide them to make sensible choices about their future, and be there if they need someone to talk to.

The young people we support

The young people we support are usually:

  • aged 16 to 21
  • moving out of care

In many cases, the young person will have been either:

  • living with family or friends until the arrangements broke down
  • looked after in foster care or residential care

What a placement involves

The Supported Lodgings Scheme is based on traditional lodging arrangements. This means that it involves giving a young person:

  • a spare room
  • access to your home

The exact arrangements will vary from one placement to another. Some young people might want to become part of your family, and take part in day-to-day activities. In other cases, they might prefer to be more independent.

Placements can be either short or long term. However, it’s likely that the young person will need some time out of the care system before they move on into their own accommodation. This will help them to:

  • get into new routines
  • gain some independent living skills
  • develop without the immediate influence of other young people living around them

Who can apply

We welcome applications and enquiries from everyone in the Stirling Council area. This includes:

  • single people
  • couples
  • families
  • employed people
  • unemployed people

Your home can be any type of property, and can be rented or owned.

Requirements and points to check

Although there are no restrictions on the type of property, you must be able to provide a young person with their own room.

You might also need to check that your landlord or mortgage company will allow you to accept a placement.

Financial support

If a placement is made, we’ll give you financial support for the period that the young person stays with you.

The current rate for 'full board' accommodation is £224.83 a week.

How we make placements

We always try to make sure that a placement works for both the host and the young person who stays with them. To ensure there’s a good fit, we:

  • make sure a social worker or support worker assesses the young person’s needs
  • take the time to get to know the host, and understand the sort of lodgings they’re offering

If you apply for the Supported Lodgings Scheme, you’ll have the final say on who shares your home.

How we assess applications

If you apply for the scheme, we’ll visit you a number of times to:

  • complete an assessment
  • keep you updated on your application

The assessment will involve several background checks, such as whether you have a criminal record. A social worker will support you throughout this process.

If you’re successful, you’ll get training to help you provide a young person with the right level of support. We’ll also assign a social worker to you.

Request information about the scheme

To ask us about taking part in the Supported Lodgings Scheme, complete our short form.

Find out more