Household waste and recycling centres
Our centres let you safely dispose of waste and recycling materials that are too big for your kerbside bins. Centres are for Stirling Council residents only. We don't accept commercial waste.
Locations and opening times
Dunkeld Court, Balfron.
Enter off the A875, Buchanan Street and Dunkeld Court junction.
Monday to Friday
|Polmaise||Lower Polmaise Waste Management Centre, Fallin, FK7 7FG||
Monday to Sunday
Geisher Road, Callander.
Enter off the A84 Stirling Road and Geisher Road junction.
Monday to Friday
Using the centres
For safety, traffic control measures are in place at our centres. Please comply with any signage. Site attendants can guide you to the appropriate area of the centre.
Household waste only
We are unable to accept commercial waste. Drivers of commercial vehicles can bring household waste from their own homes. Verification checks are in place.
We might ask you for proof of address on entry. Acceptable forms include a driver's licence or other photographic ID, plus a recent document that shows your address.
All vehicle types up to 7.5 tonnes can use the centres. Vehicles must be able to unload safely and must only carry household waste from the driver's or passenger's own property.
Children and pets
Make sure children under age 12 and pets remain in your vehicle when you visit a centre.
What types of waste can I bring?
The list shows you the types of waste we can accept. At some sites there may be restrictions. Waste material that is not covered by our site licence will be turned away.
It’s a good idea to separate your materials before going to a centre as this will reduce your time on site.
- batteries – small household batteries only
- cans and cartons (such as Tetrapak) – for food and drinks
- car batteries
- cardboard – flatten boxes and remove all contents
- electrical appliances – large and small, including kettles, toasters, microwaves, cables, ovens, dishwashers, washing machines
- fridges and freezers – domestic units only. They should be empty and clean. We accept American-style units and small, domestic, wine and beer fridges with glass-fronted doors. We don’t accept chest or deep freezers or gas and ammonia units.
- garden waste – except large branches, soil and stones
- gas cylinders – UK units only. We accept Callor, Flowgas, MacGas and jGas. You can usually return LPG gas bottles to the supplier.
- glass bottles and jars
- engine oil
- lawn mowers and strimmers – petrol units must be emptied of fuel
- light bulbs – including energy saving and fluorescent tubes
- paint – hardened household paint only. You can buy paint hardener from DIY stores, or use saw dust or sand.
- plastic bottles and containers – including HDPE, PET. Please clean them first
- scrap metal
- soil, rubble and earth – but not turf
- textiles – clothing and linen in good condition only, but no pillows or duvets
- TVs and monitors
- walking aids
- wood, timber and MDF – items must be made entirely of wood
- general non-recyclable waste – including black sacks, mattresses, lounge suites etc.
You can drop off many different types of walking aid, and NHS Forth Valley will refurbish and reuse these wherever possible. To find out what you can recycle, visit the NHS Forth Valley site.
We can’t accept
Liquids, chemicals, fuels, or solvent (other than engine oil and hardened household paint), vehicle tyres and asbestos. We will not accept any material suspected to contain asbestos , such as corrugated roofing or panels which may appear concrete based.
Re-use containers at Lower Polmaise
Transition Stirling is a Stirling-based environmental charity that finds a new home for quality items that can be re-used. They have two containers at Lower Polmaise household waste recycling centre. Items placed in these containers must be in working order, or be capable of being repaired. We can’t accept:
- broken glass
- soft furnishings that don’t have a fire safety notice
- electrical or other items that can’t be repaired
- items in black bags
Re-use items you can put in these containers
- IT equipment, printers
- books, DVDs, CDs and records
- stereos, radios, record players and speakers
- CD, DVD and Blu-ray players
- kettles, toasters, food mixers and other small kitchen electricals
- pots and pans, kitchenware
- ornaments and bric-a-brac
- power tools, hand tools and DIY items
- gardening tools and equipment
- craft and sewing items
- furniture items with a fire safety label where applicable
- sewing machines
- musical instruments and sports equipment
- pictures, frames and mirrors – but no broken glass
- vintage items
- seasonal decorations, such as Christmas lights
- board games – new and vintage
If you need to dispose of bulky items, we recommend you bring another person with you. Our site assistants are unable to help you carry items from your vehicle. If you’re bringing items in a container, make sure you can handle it on your own, or with help from a passenger. To help us manage visitor numbers we ask that no more than two people are outside of your vehicle at any time.
Our Household Waste and Recycling Centres are licensed for household waste only. We do not accept commercial waste.
We do accept commercial waste customers at our Polmaise Depot weighbridge. This is a chargeable service for registered account holders.
More about commercial waste services.