Curriculum for Excellence (CfE) is an approach to teaching which is interactive between teachers and those children and young people with whom they are working. CfE provides increased opportunities to link across different curricular areas,e.g. Planet Earth draws on Sciences but could also include Geography and Mathematics. Children and young people will experience a broad range of learning at an appropriate level of challenge and have opportunities to apply their skills and knowledge in a variety of situations.
How my child will progress through Curriculum for Excellence
Children and young people's learning will progress through six Curricular Levels from the ages of 3 to 18. Each of the levels generally spans three years. However, children progress at different rates and some may take longer or need additional support, while others will achieve confident learning skills sooner.
- The Early Level covers the early years in nursery and Primary 1.
- The First Level covers Primary 2 to Primary 4.
- The Second Level runs until the end of Primary 7.
- The Third and Fourth Levels cover from Secondary 1 to Secondary 3.
- The Senior Phase runs from Secondary 4 to Secondary 6 in school and college, or other means of study, up until the age of 18.
Last updated: Friday, May 15, 2020 8:39 AM