Home alterations and improvements

This guide tells you how to go about improving or altering to your council home or garden – including adaptations that make your home more accessible.

What alterations you can make

As a council tenant, it’s up to you to decide how your home should be decorated. But if you want to make major changes to your home or garden, you need to ask for permission first.

Repair standards

You’ll need to ask us for permission if you want to:

  • erect a fence
  • install a shower
  • install a new kitchen, bathroom or doors
  • put up a garden shed or garage
  • construct a driveway
  • lay laminate flooring
  • Install CCTV

How to apply for permission

Applying for permission is free. You can email housingpermissions@stirling.gov.uk or write to:

Housing Services
Stirling Council
Allan Water House
Kerse Road
Stirling FK7 7SG

What else will you need?

If you have any plans or drawings of the work you intend to do, let us have a copy of them when you apply. If you’re putting up a garage or other building in your garden, you might also need to apply for planning permission or a building warrant.

After you apply

Depending on the type of work being carried out, we might need to visit your home. Once we have all the information we need, we’ll let you know within 28 days if permission has been granted.

If permission is refused, we’ll tell you why. You can appeal against this decision. Just use our customer complaints procedure.

Home adaptations

If you're elderly or have mobility issues we can often make permanent or temporary adaptations to your home. These adaptations can help you live more easily and safely and include handrails, wider doorways, ramped access and walk-in showers.

If you think you might qualify for these adaptations, get in touch with adaptations@stirling.gov.uk