Applying for planning permission

Find out if you need planning permission for your building work, how to apply for it, and where to go for advice.

Do I need planning permission?

Some work doesn't need planning permission. This is called permitted development.

Residential properties

You might not need planning permission for work such as extensions and alterations to your home. You can find guidance on permitted development on the Scottish Government website.

If your work does not need planning permission, but you would like a written confirmation your development is lawful, you can apply for a Certificate of Lawfulness.

You can apply for a Certificate of Lawfulness on the ePlanning portal.

Non-residential properties

Permitted development can also apply to retail, industrial and other types of property development. This is known as non-householder permitted development rights.

The Scottish Government has guidance on what type of work doesn't need planning permission.

Change of use

If you want to change what a property is used for, such as turning a shop into a takeaway, then you may need planning permission.

Changes of use can be found in the use classes order.

You might need a building warrant for any work you carry out.

Conservation areas

Permitted development is limited on properties in a conservation area. Ask us for advice on your plans.

Listed buildings

Permitted development rights don't to apply listed buildings. You'll need planning permission for any work.

Get help with your planning application

Once you've decided that you need planning permission for your work, you can ask us for advice before you make a formal application.

Why ask for advice?

Getting advice before making an application can identify if your proposal is likely to be accepted, saving time and money on making a formal application. It can also identify the need for specialist work you might need, such as de-contamination work.

What's involved?

We'll assess your proposal against our local development plan, other relevant policies and material planning considerations.

We can't tell you if your application will be granted or not. But we can tell you if it's likely to contravene any of our criteria.

How to apply for advice

You can apply for advice by viewing our pre application advice page.

Send your completed form to We normally respond within 25 working days.

If you need independent advice, you can ask Planning Aid for Scotland. Their free, impartial and confidential planning advice service is provided by specialist volunteers, all of whom are chartered planners.

Planning application costs

Planning application costs are set by the Scottish Government. Use their fee calculator to work out how much your application will cost.

Apply for planning permission

Planning applications are made through the Scottish Government's e-planning portal.

Before you submit your application, you can check it meets our validation standards.

Pay for your application

After you submit your application, you'll have to pay for it. If your application needs to be advertised in a newspaper you can pay for your advertisement online too. You can pay online with your card.

Pay for Retrospective Surcharge

Making a decision

Our planning toolbox has information on the planning decision making process.

If you want to speak to someone about your application, contact the case officer directly. Their contact details are on all correspondence from us.