Applying for a vehicle footway crossing (dropped kerb)

A guide to what 'dropping a kerb' means and the steps you must go through if you want to apply for this.

What 'dropping a kerb' means

‘Dropping a kerb’ means lowering the edge of a pavement so that vehicles can cross it. This type of adaptation is also sometimes called a 'vehicle footway crossing'.

Dropped kerbs are often used when there’s a pavement between:

  • the road
  • someone’s driveway

If you want the kerb to be dropped outside of a property, you must go through the application process that's explained in this guide.

Permission in principle

To lower a kerb, you must start by consulting our Roads team and getting their general agreement on what you want to do. This is known as 'permission in principle'.

To do this, complete the vehicle footway crossing online form.

Once the team has received your application, they’ll:

  • arrange a site visit
  • give you appropriate guidance

Road opening application form

If the Roads team gives you permission in principle, you’ll need to complete a road opening application form. This form should include the details of your contractor.

Paying for your road opening application

If you submit a road opening application form, you must pay a charge of £128. You can do this using:

  • cash
  • a cheque
  • a debit or credit card

Once we've received your form, we'll contact you to arrange this payment.

Other issues you should consider

Rented properties

If you're a tenant, you must get permission from your landlord. This is the case whether that landlord is:

  • a private landlord
  • a housing association
  • Stirling Council

Ex-council properties

If you’re the owner of a former Stirling Council property, you must get a special type of permission called 'feu superior consent'. You can apply for this by writing to our Housing Service at:

Stirling Council Housing Service
Allan Water House
Kerse Road

You can also:

Planning permission

You'll need to apply for planning permission if the dropped kerb would be on:

  • an 'A' road
  • a 'B' road
  • a 'class III' or 'classified unnumbered' road

You might also need to get separate permissions for associated items, like:

  • structures
  • walls
  • fences

If you need help with this, you can ask for pre-application advice.

You can also contact our Planning team by: